Saturday, January 7, 2012

Back to the Grind

Any teachers out there?

If so, you know how it goes when you return to school after winter break. Any hopes I had of slowly readjusting were dashed within a few minutes of the kids walking in the room! My teaching partner and I quickly got overwhelmed as we looked at our plan books and realized that we needed to quickly plan in a ton of assessments for upcoming progress reports and get several major curriculum projects kicked off. To those not in the classroom, this may sound like minor issues. But, when the tasks involve 26 children, it is daunting.

You know those progress reports I mentioned? I teach in a private school, so those progress reports involve very long narratives, bulleted strengths and goals in every subject, and checklists of skills. Altogether, I write between 12,000-15,000 words when all is said and done. The parents are paying major bucks for tuition, so they expect lengthy and detailed information on their kids. Although I feel like writing the reports is a major strength of mine, it takes at least five days of writing, spending 5-6 hours at a time at my laptop, on top of the prep time to review my notes and samples of their work. Not to mention correcting new work as it comes in.

All of this, on top of actually teaching my classes, tutoring, and doing normal administrative duties.

Needless to say, even in my seventh year of teaching, I get really stressed in January.

I suggested to my dad that he buy me a massage, to alleviate said stress. He agreed! I go in at noon for a 90 minute massage.

I. Can't. Wait.

Needless to say, my blog might be neglected over the next 10 days or so.
___________________________________
So, in IVF #1 news - here is the latest:
• His Royal Fabulousness (aka KG, because I am lazy) and I met with my RE's nurse for a lesson in all my meds. It was really helpful to watch her mix meds and such in front of us. She commented on what a relaxed, non-squeamish guy he is, and I had to agree. I don't know what I would do without him giving me these shots.

• I start Lupron tomorrow morning. On days I am home, KG will do the shots. On school days, my school nurse will do them. She has three sons from IVF herself! I stay on Lupron through the last several days of BCP (last pill on Jan. 12th) and then get a period while on Lupron.

• On Jan. 17th, I have a baseline ultrasound and bloodwork scheduled, then I start Gonal-F and Menopur the next day. I wish I had asked why I can't do an ultrasound now, to make sure the cysts are gone, before I start Lupron. Anyone know the answer to why they have me start Lupron first?


• I do stims and Lupron until my hcg trigger (aka BIG ASS NEEDLE #1).

• Egg retrieval is the day after, with embryo transfer either 3 or 5 days later, depending on how the little suckers fertilize. Can't wait for transfer. Transfer = valium.

• Fun progesterone in oil (PIO) injections start after transfer, along with estrogen patches, antibiotics, steroids, and other fun stuff.

__________________________________________
KG said the sweetest thing the afternoon of our meds lesson. In the most earnest way, he thanked me for being willing to go through all of this to make our baby. I'm telling you, that boy melts my heart sometimes. You should have heard the sweetness in his voice.

Now, if that sweetness could include him giving up alcohol with me this cycle, THAT would be something.

So, although I am not excited, I am feeling like it is time to get this show on the road. I'm as ready as I will ever be.

14 comments:

  1. I know how you feel!! I am excited to be involved. Sounds like I am one week ahead of you. I have my suppression u/s on the 12th. Then the big drugs start.

    I had a pre Lupron scan (u/s). Not sure why they didn't do one. Don't see why you can't request one for peace of mind.

    Yeah to IVF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, what a sweet comment he made!

    Yes, I totally can relate to the grind of January. There's no way to slowly ease back in, and yes, the reports are the worst!

    Enjoy that massage today, you deserve it! Best of luck this cycle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got my socks! I love them :) The cupcake idea was the cutest!

    I sent your package out tomorrow, they said you should get it by Tuesday. We must have similar taste in socks, you'll see why :P

    Can't wait to hear all of your IVF updates

    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! Have a great massage! 90 minutes sounds like heaven! Way to treat yourself before the kickoff.

    By calling it IVF #1 it sounds like you are not too optimistic, like you are already expecting you will need to do an IVF #2. With so many people doing multiple rounds it seems hard to believe your first try may be all it takes, but it really could happen. I am crossing my fingers this is it! Statistically your odds really are good so I am hoping next month will be good news for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. starfish - Interesting you say that about calling it IVF#1. I never looked at it that way! You are making me do some good thinking over here.

    BTW - I checked with the nurses about the ultrasound and we had a good chat. I feel much better about moving forward with Lupron.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck and tell your hubs that he is awesome for recognizing what you are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with getting started... woohoo! I start lupron for an fet in about 10 days. It can. not. come. soon. enough.

    Good luck on your second week back to school :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome hubby!! Sometimes it helps just to hear them say those things and acknowledge what we are putting ourselves through. He's definitely a keeper! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The scan while on Lupron seems to be quite common as I had it that way along with 20 other couples from the same clinic on the last IVF.

    This IVF I'm doing micro dose of Lupron, which is twice a day injections, they start after the suppression scan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhh that is so sweet, your husband thanking you for going through all of this. :D :D My husband said the same thing recently and I cried. It is SO MUCH to go through to have a baby and so often the burden falls on the woman to have the injections and hormones (on top of carrying and giving birth), but it is so worth it...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweetie! Good luck with the progress reports and the shots!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with everything. I am enjoying reading everything I can about the IVF as my hubs and I will be doing this soon. We meet with our RE this Weds. to get things going.

    Also, I am a teacher and Jan is a very stressful time! We don't have to write up the reports like you do, but we have all of these assessments and then we have winter parent/teacher conferences the first week of Feb so we have to meet with the parents and go over all of their progress or lack their of. The thing that gets me is that we just met with them in November and report cards went home in December so this seems like weird timing to have another round of conferences. Anyway, good luck with your work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So excited for you.... Good luck for all the injections. Looking forward to reading all your updates and being here to support you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck for your cycles and with all the injections! It's great that your husband helps you with this, and that you can get the help of the school nurse as well!
    Looks like you're a couple of days ahead of me. I'll go in for an US on Thursday, to check for cysts, and I assume that I will start pre-period suppression then (if they put me on the long protocol).
    Hope this cycle will work for you (and me, of course ;-) ) !

    ReplyDelete

Shout it, shout it, shout it out loud!