Saturday, August 13, 2011

Inspiration

There were several influences that inspired me to start writing again.

One of these came during a recent trip home to Los Angeles. I had lunch with two high school friends. I hadn't seen one much in the last 13 years. She simply asked me if I was writing these days. In high school, when we spent a lot of time together, I was a writer. I wrote for our school newspaper, school literary magazine, a 'zine (so 90's!) of my own that was included in Zine Scene (a collection of writings), poetry, journals, etc. I was highly influenced by Hillary Carlip (whom I befriended at a reading when I was about 14) and truly saw myself as an author.

I never intended to stop writing. It just sort of happened. I went to college, got busy, started working, got married, became a teacher, blah blah blah. Anyway, that part of my life to a back seat. I did develop other interests, but always felt sad that I wasn't writing.

Anyway, the point of this post is that it feels good to be writing again and I am so excited about the feeling it has been giving me. I am brimming with ideas and have gone back to reading essays by other authors. Of course, right now, I am reading a lot of essays about infertility. My favorite ones are the ones that incorporate a lot of humor into their deeply personal stories. I rely on humor to get me through hard times. It keeps me sane. You can't cry all the time, right? So you might as well laugh.

This is a particularly good example. For those who haven't had a miscarriage it might be a little weird to read. But, I think it is genius. Enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you're writing again. And finding joy in it. Maybe, just maybe you'll be the inspiration I need to get my blog going again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that entry. Here's the one I wrote about my failed IVF:
    http://beaarthurexplainsitall.blogspot.com/2011/01/thoughts-on-failed-ivf.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. SKB - Loved your entry and your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and also, the first thing I said to the nice front desk lady at my RE office for my failed IVF postmortem was, "Hey, you're glad to see me, right? Aren't you glad I'm still infertile?"

    ReplyDelete

Shout it, shout it, shout it out loud!